Yr 3 & 4 – Miss Hill – Ogston
Year 3/4 Autumn
Our Topic this term is Traders and Raiders. Please encourage your child to investigate all aspects of this exciting topic. Ideas are listed below; we will share their home learning during the week.
What will you choose to do?
- Visit your local library and find out about any Saxon or Viking invasions in your local area or county.
- Look at images of Anglo-Saxon coins. Can you design a coin? You could draw a picture or use modelling clay or other materials to make your coin look like metal
- Do some research about Viking names and their meanings, and make up some
suitable Viking names for your friends and family. Remember to describe
something about each person’s appearance or characteristics.
- Look at animals in Viking art (search online for the Urnes or Jellinge styles). Can you design and draw an imaginary beast to make a fantastic pattern?
- Find out more about the Futhark alphabet (also known as the runic alphabet),
used by the Vikings. Write a short message using the runic characters. Vikings
wrote on wood, bone and stone. What will you use?
- Listen online to someone speaking Old English or Old Norse. Can you recognise
any of the words? Can you learn how to express a greeting or phrase in one of these ancient languages?
- Imagine you are a Viking skald or poet. Create a poem to sing the praises of a friend or family member.
- Dress up in a typical Saxon or Viking costume. Are you a farmer, warrior, child or tradesperson? Red and gold were favourite colours, but poorer people might not have been able to afford to dye their cloth.
- Find out about real treasure (often known as hoards) discovered from this period. Sutton Hoo and the Staffordshire Hoard are good examples. You might find information on hoards close to your school. However, exact locations are often kept secret. Can you think why?
Spellings Weekly spellings will continue to focus on high frequency words as listed in the National Curriculum. Spellings will be given on a Monday and tested the following week. Please check reading diaries for the words for that week.
Reading Please continue to encourage your child to read at home. We always welcome book reviews and recommendations to encourage other readers in class.Do not forget to check out and read the Top 20 Must Reads.
Grammar Hammer This will be given out on Monday to be completed and returned any day but by the following Monday at the latest. Please encourage your child to complete this homework as it supports the grammar, punctuation and spelling learning, which takes place within the classroom.
In Maths this term we will be concentrating on place value and the four operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division).
Times tables A quick recall of times tables facts are an essential skill to support understanding in mathematics. Encourage your child to practise, as all children in year 4 need to know their times tables to 12 x 12 and the related division facts. Times tables will be tested during the following week. To reinforce times table knowledge, every child has a Rockstars log on. Please encourage your child to use Rockstars a few times a week. From this academic year all Year 4 children will take part in a statutory times tables test.
Maths Skills Check Homework will be given weekly to support and consolidate the learning in class. This is given out on Monday to be completed and returned any day but by the following Monday at the latest. Your child should use the ‘Prompt Sheets’ to support them. They will complete this task independently the following week.
PE PE will take place two afternoons a week. Please ensure that your child has both an indoor and outdoor PE kit, as we will be venturing outside as much as we can.
Indoor PE Kit – White t-shirt, black shorts and trainers or pumps
Outdoor PE Kit -White t-shirt, joggers, leggings or tracksuit bottoms, pumps/trainers and a hooded jacket or jumper.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT
INSET Day: Friday, 25th October
Half Term Holiday: Monday, 28th October through Friday, 1st November
We are holding an open morning for prospective Reception parents for September 2020 on Thursday, 7th November 2019, at 9am. If you would like to let us know that you will be attending, please fill in your details at the link found in the Early Years Foundation Stage section of our website (under the tab 'Our School').
20/09/2019 - We will be selling Halloween costumes after school. Tesco are supplying the costumes and all proceeds go to school.
24/09/2019 - Ogston begins 10 weeks of swimming
25/09/2019 - We will be celebrating European Day of Languages. Parents are invited to join us from 2pm.
27/09/2019 - 50 Things begins!
08/10/2019 - Hobgoblin Theatre will be performing Goldilocks for our KS1 (Y1&2) children.
23/10/2019 - EYFS Parents Evening
24/10/2019 - EYFS Parents Evening